The mission of the Boaz Area Chamber of Commerce is to promote and enhance economic growth and community development in our local communities. Our Chamber is a membership organization consisting of local business owners and executives who want to see businesses of all sizes grow and prosper. This is the Boaz Area Chamber Board & Staff Category Page. The chamber provides a host of programs and services designed to help businesses gain visibility in the local community to help with your business success story. The chamber also assists the City of Boaz, Sardis City and Marshall County to attract and retain a strong workforce and actively pursue opportunities for positive growth in all areas of business and economic development. The Board is made up of 16 individuals with terms of service from 1 to 3 years, and meets monthly at the Chamber Office.
2017-2018 Boaz Area Chamber of Commerce – Board of Directors
Sheila Sanders – Chairwoman, 1 year term/2018*
Cole Hudgins – Chairman Elect, 1 year term/2018*
Sam McCord – Past- Chair, 2 year term/2019
Dale Morton – Secretary/Treasurer, 3 year term/2020
Betty Gilbreath – Member At large/1 year term/2018*
Scott Bobo – Director/ 2 year term/2019
Kelli Conley – SSCC/ Appointed Director
Bentley Gray – Director/ 2 year term/2019
Tim McRae – Appointed Director/ 1 year term/2018*
Frank Scott – Director /2 year term/2019
Dr. Shannon Stanley – BCSS/ Appointed Director
David Ellis – City of Boaz/ Appointed Director
Kerry Mitchell – Director/3 year term/2020*
Kelli Whorton – Director/3 year term/2020*
Rodney Frix – Director/3 year term/2020*
Edna Southerland – Interim President, Boaz Area Chamber
*Eligible for additional 3 year term
***The Boaz Area Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors meets the 3rd Tuesday of each month at the Chamber office***
2017-2018 Boaz Area Chamber of Commerce – Staff
Edna Southerland, Interim President, Boaz Area Chamber
Edna Southerland of Boaz, AL, graduated from Massey Hill High School in Fayetteville, North Carolina; attended Snead State Community College; has taken several Continuing Education Classes and a Dale Carnegie Course in Effective Speaking and Human Relations. Edna worked in the Education Systems in North Carolina, Georgia, Florida and Alabama, performing duties as a secretary, payroll clerk, bookkeeper, personnel and administrative assistant; was employed in retail/wholesale, insurance and investments, and has extensive experience in public relations and varied levels of State, Federal and Municipality requirements of employee relations. She has strong inter-personal, communication, clerical and secretarial job performance skills, which make Edna a perfect fit for Administrative Assistant at the Boaz Area Chamber of Commerce.
2017-2018 Boaz Area Chamber of Commerce – Ambassadors
Our Ambassadors work almost all our events for the Chamber. They assist people in finding their way around at all the events and making sure that everyone is taken care of. The Chamber would like to say “THANKS” to all our Ambassadors!
The Boaz Area Chamber of Commerce is accepting resumes for the position of President until November 3, 2017, 4 p.m. Send to: email@example.com or Boaz Area Chamber of Commerce 100 E. Bartlett St. Boaz AL 35957.
BOAZ AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
JOB DESCRIPTION: PRESIDENT
Reports to Board of Directors
- The President is the chief executive and administrative officer of the Boaz Area Chamber of Commerce and is accountable for all organizational activities of the chamber, including but not limited to: program initiatives; membership recruitment, development and retention; training and supervision of staff; total fiscal responsibilities within agreed upon financial resources; and developing and maintain a collaborative working relationship between the Boaz Area Chamber of Commerce and business and public policy/governmental organizations, other area chambers and other area organizations to foster a strong business environment for the members and business community at-large.
- Must be a proven, results-oriented leader who motivates and coordinates the Chamber’s volunteer leaders and staff in championing local business interests, growing the economy and identifying new program opportunities that address issues of importance in Boaz and surrounding communities.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and other Characteristics:
- Strong political acumen in this apolitical position with an ability to tactfully work with differing opinions, build consensus, represent chamber members individually and collectively and have strong interpersonal skills that engender confidence.
- Excellent communication skills, including written, oral and listening skills, public speaking in large and small groups, representing the chamber in both print and broadcast interviews and attention to a multitude of detail.
- Ability to create strategic public/private partnerships, including building alliances with a wide range of constituencies and influencers that include business leaders, entrepreneurs, investors, elected officials, school system, and the media.
- Passionate enthusiasm and desire to help the organization reach its goals.
- A strong understanding of what a chamber of commerce or similar membership-driven organization is and the ability to work with a wide variety of people.
- Skilled in identifying opportunities and creating strategies, with proven ability to initiate, nurture and develop ongoing productive relationships and to craft win-win outcomes in knitting together appropriate stakeholders.
- Global perspective, with ability to identify opportunities that can translate into success for the Chamber’s member businesses and organizations.
- Career track of progressive, documentable accomplishments in increasingly complex operations/administrative/executive leadership roles in a Chamber of Commerce, economic development organization or similar enterprise. Experience earned in a not for profit environment not required but will be considered a plus. A proven business professional with record of established successful executive leadership of a major organization, or an outstanding leader with record of accomplishments in public service will be given full consideration.
- Track record of successfully facilitating and nurturing effective communications in keeping key stakeholders apprised of financial and operational status.
- Marketing savvy, business acumen, and creativity, and background and skills to work collaboratively with marketing consultants and staff to enhance public awareness.
- Skilled at leveraging all forms of media from print to internet application and Social Media, with experience at targeting and orchestrating media venues to gain attention and develop interest in the Boaz Area Chamber of Commerce’s events as well as day to day activities, to ensure consistent positive press and public relations.
- At least five years’ experience as a successful leader with business acumen or a success field deemed appropriate for the position. Chamber and/or other non-profit management is preferred.
- Must have proven communication skills and be able to effectively deal with volunteers, public officials, educators, and the public.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products as well as database technology and Quick Books.
- Demonstrated knowledge of social media marketing to include: email marketing, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Excellent planning, writing and public speaking skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to positively affect change and manage balanced budgets in a business/non-profit/membership-driven or comparable organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree or above and specialized training in Chamber of Commerce or association management and economic development is preferred.
Employee will be expected to reside in the state of Alabama, within the service area of the Boaz Area Chamber of Commerce.
Salary is to commensurate with experience.